The Feat of Internal Audit Standards Directorate in Public Sector
In a short span of time, the Directorate of Internal Audit Standards has bagged several achievements in its pursue to prescribe and pronounce generally accepted internal auditing standards for the public sector. Some of the achievements and recent activities are highlighted below:
- The Public Sector Accounting Standards Board (PSASB) approved for adoption of the International Professional Practice Framework (IPPF) promulgated by the Institute of Internal Auditors for application by all state organs and public sector entities.
- In collaboration with the Internal Auditor General Department, the Directorate of Internal Audit Standards consequently has developed the following guidelines, manual and templates to facilitate implementers in the application of the IPPF and enhance standardization of the internal audit process in public entities:
- Audit committee guidelines
- Internal audit guidelines for National Government and County Government
- Draft county internal audit manual and its attendant templates
The Directorate of Internal Audit Standards has maintained a steady grip on upscaling the country's uptake of internal audit standards. The directorate has undertaken the following:
- Conducted a validation exercise on the draft county internal audit manual and its attendant templates. This brought on board 97 heads of internal audit drawn from the County Executive and County Assemblies to deliberate on and review the draft county manual and its attendant templates. The validation exercise key objective was to engage key stakeholders in the development process and enhance the manual’s implementation on approval.
- Conducted a sensitization workshop on International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF) attended by County Heads of Audit (Executive).
- Carried out capacity building for audit committee members and heads of internal audit drawn from various county governments.